So, I’ve noticed alot of you have been asking Fil the same question that I had been for a while. ” What is the 50’s wiring you’ve been talking about?” Well here I’ll not only show you what it is, I’ll show you how to do it!!! In my research I found that there are more than one 50’s wiring styles. This one, however, is the most common and simple. This will be sort of a two part thing. I’ll show, in the simplest fashion, how to switch your existing wiring to the 50’s style. For me, this wasn’t enough. (I think we’ve learned I can’t leave things “stock” by now 🙂 ) Next I’ll show how to do a complete “vintage” style rewire. (more…)
Okay, here we go:
[Video missing, sorry.]
Please note: at about the end of the video clip, clip will turn black while audio is still working. Canon camera heated up and turned off automatically. The audio will continue for a few more seconds.
Used the 1987 for this one, as the 1959 was heating way too much (I put new tubes yesterday, but didn’t BIAS: I will have to put the old ones back in if I want to avoid foolish damage) . And also, as I wanted to concentrate a bit on solo’s (though I played quite a bit rhythm, too) I gave it a go.
The chance was good to remind myself that even this reissue – though modified – Marshall 50W head is pretty good. Judge for yourself, but I like it much.
Consider that I used only one setting for the amp (Presence 0, Bass 8, Middle 5, Treble 5, Volume 6: now it makes sense to use the volume at 6 as Angus stated in many interviews… of couse, with a BOOST!!!) and only setting for the microphones equalization (Sonnox Plugins, Professional Equalizer for ProTools). Didn’t change it across the whole video/audio session.
The boost unit is a custom made, by hand, unit made by “Cloe Guitars” (my Luthiers/PLEK shop).
Still, I think you can now “recognize” a decent studio tone. (more…)
Well, theoretically. Today, while fiddling with things down at the laboratory – now I’m up at home, and I have been listening to “Plug Me In”, Disc 1, the Early Years (looking at Mal’s and Ang’s Amps when live in those years, and listening close with the headphones, once again, for the millionth time) it just struck me – I wonder why not before, not so clearly – that it was a boost. It had to be a boost.
A boost of signal. Do you understand? How many times have you asked yourself (and me) “how do I get that sound?”. Haven’t we discussed it over and over, already? Yes, we have.
But have at least *I* tried it seriously, ever? No, I haven’t. Now I am and I will.
So, today I hooked a clean boost (a volume boost: it’s a pedal unit that has volume and tone on it, you plug it just like any other guitar stomp box, and you play) to my 1959 main input – I had just retubed it with new JJs – and it struck me.
Right there and then. Couldn’t believe it. It was there. The fundamental added tone harmonics were all there. (more…)
This video is simply a “pilot”, i.e., a promo video. A test, basically.
I intend to post a few videos, for a total of circa 14 SGs (all my relevant ones) to test differences among them. Providing in fact, wiring images (one for each guitar), type of wiring and a few addtional specs/per guitar.
Specifically. every SG current action (I like the action quite low on SGs), Bridge Pickup DC resistance measurement and a little more tidbits.
All done with the same amp – for now, the 1959 – at the same identical settings, same microphone positioning, same EQ post etc.
This is just a pilot. I used it to verify quite a lot of new technology, including the new multicore MacPro and a new video editing tool that actually (finally) works with multicores, allowing me to process video much more quickly (imagine that at times, my video processing was 4 hours per video: unbearable. I was now able to bring for these 10 minutes computing time down to 8 minutes).
I am not sure whether I will keep the plexi panels around the cabinet. I think the sound is good, but still a bit “boxy”. Listen closely and tell me what you think. Although all nuances are probably very evident now, I can’t choose.
Video quality is not top notch, since I did a couple of mistakes 😛
I started with “Blackie” as I changed its bridge pickup. After some initial fighting with the wiring, which was rather odd, having been modified previously, I was able to nail the original wiring (simply copying it from another SG) and now it’s back to “stock late ’60s wiring”. Which is not ’50s wiring. We’ll talk about it.